Human Services Integration Project - ResourcesThere are a variety of resources posted on this website to assist you in your human services integration efforts. As more Consolidated Municipal Service Managers (CMSMs) and District Social Service Administration Boards (DSSABs) work towards service integration, this set of resources will expand, so plan to check back periodically to see what has been added.
Downloadable versions of the following publications are available below:
- A Guide to Thinking about Human Services Integration: Making a Greater Difference for People and Communities (Published by the Ontario Municipal Social Services Association and the Service Manager Housing Network, September 2007)
- Report from the OMSSA Spring Leadership Seminar (March 2007)
- Community Human Services Planning: Moving Forward (June 2010)
OMSSA PresentationsA Guide to Thinking about Human Services Integration PowerPoint presentation (September 2007)
Service Manager Examples of integrated service delivery and planning
Human Services Integration 101
Ready to take the first steps/further steps on the road to service integration? This workshop, delivered at your site for a group of up to 30 staff (ideally from all levels and programs in your organization), will prepare you to begin a process of service integration. Working with a facilitator, participants will:
- Determine hoped-for outcomes of the process
- Identify critical differences in language—and values—which are embedded in your organization
- Identify the key elements of the “system” in which integration is being introduced
- Problem-solve ways to engage the whole identified system in the process
- Identify strategies for ensuring the process is “person-centred”
- Identify potential benefits
- Establish evaluation as a consideration in all steps of the process
- Help you identify challenges in advance – and consider strategies for dealing with them
- Begin to identify potential service delivery changes which integration should deliver in your organization
In order to ensure “fit” with your organization, pre-workshop consultation between workshop sponsor(s) and the facilitator will be required.
Please contact Julia Frost, OMSSA's Coordinator of Professional Development, at (416) 646-0511 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. Other training opportunities are currently in development.
Books and Articles of InterestAn annotated bibliography can be found in A Guide to Thinking about Human Services Integration, which is being updated and expanded on an ongoing basis so please check back periodically. A search function for external books and articles will be added in the near future as well. In the meantime, the bibliography is a good place to begin a review of available literature.
Tools/Forms/TemplatesA variety of tools will be added to this website upon completion of a first survey by CMSMs and DSSABs. Forms and templates used elsewhere will be added, as available, to this site for your information and use. Development of this resource area will begin in the autumn of 2008.
What are Others Doing?A first survey of CMSMs and DSSABs is being sent to OMSSA members over the summer of 2008, which will lead to the development of a searchable database that you can use to identify what is happening with regard to integration across Ontario. This database will be operational in the autumn of 2008.
Coaching and Consultation ServicesThe Human Services Integration Committee is hosting a demonstration project through which best practices in coaching and consultation to facilitate integration efforts will be identified. Operating in two CMSMs/DSSABs which are being “twinned” for this purpose, the project will test and evaluate the effectiveness of a variety of approaches to consultant-delivered support and facilitation. Once completed, a small group of coaches will be trained, forming a core group of professionals who are able to work with CMSMs and DSSABs across the province. OMSSA members will then be able to contract with OMSSA for coaching services from this group. The demonstration phase of this project kicks off over the summer of 2008. Please check back periodically to learn about the progress of this innovative initiative.
Find out more about:
Human Services Integration Project
Project History and Activity
Integration Principles, Commitments and Process Continuum
Human Services Integration - Database
Frequently Asked Questions